Friday, July 30, 2004
 
Things I hate about Journalism:

1) Accuracy
a) I realized that my editor (and my professor) will fry my ass if i fail to be accurate in my reporting a fact, materials from an interview, observation, and what not.
b) I realized that my source will fry my ass if I failed to accurately report on information that they had revealed to me in interviews.
c) I realized that people can be fried by my inaccurate reporting for example in a court hearing.
d) I realized that people are actually going to read what I write and take it as Truth. And I can't be Wrong or not even a little inaccurate because what i write must be the absolute Truth as readers assumes it to be.

2) Ethics.
a) I realize that sometimes i really have no idea what is appropriate to ask and reveal in an interview.
b) I realize that i cannot be lazy when writing and in the process of getting materials to write and article because this may result in a mishandling of number (1)

3) Interviews
a) i realize that i don't like conducting interviews because i often don't know how i should act and what i should ask.
b) I don't like arranging for an interview cause more often than not, people are unwilling to talk to a reporter.
c) I realize i don't know the appropriate mannerism for an interview. what time to be there, how to act, what to do, how to dress right for an interview.

4) AP style.
a) nuff said. i don't know the AP style book at the back of my head.

 
Friends of Journalism

1) I plead the First Admendment.
2) I plead the Fifth Admendment.
3) God bless New York Times v. Sullivan and the Standard of Actual Malice (but that's defence against libel, lets hope we never get there)

oh dang... we no have those in Malaysia.

 
"The best defence for a journalist is TRUTH." but then again, that's also really hard because the Truth is easier imagined than practiced. What is it about accuracy that i so fear? Because i cannot fail it not even in a single word that I write.

*sigh*

I wish it was easier like writing a music review or a movie review or some OP-ED Opinion column or something.

*why journalism?????????????????????????????*

-God bless my first article.... please please please let it be good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive