Thursday, May 11, 2017

「今日も明日も」

I actually really don't know how to write this post.

I don't think words can capture the immense loss and the aching sadness in my heart over Isshikisan.

I don't know what to say, you know.
What can be said?
What can be said about a person whom you did care about and had wished and hoped and prayed with all your heart that he wouldn't reach this absolutely hopeless and final end?

 

Today.

We went to Isshikisan's memorial service at Aoyama Funeral Parlor.

I'm sooooooo happy he and Okamotosan got married. I wished they had told us when they did.
I want so much to say to her "CONGRATULATIONS!" But.. "I'm sorry...".
I'm so happy they were married because it was such a great love story of a band, isn't it?
But I'm so happy they were married because he got to be married and he had her with him all the way till the end and even beyond that, I'm glad he had her there for him tonight.

I'm so glad that the girl that became the drummer who become the wife and who is his companion. I'm glad she was, tonight, his wife, and not merely the drummer of his band.


Tonight.

We went to mourn.

People  often say "you should celebrate their lives, not mourn their death",  but there really was nothing to celebrate tonight. Surrounded by family, by friends, by fans who attracted to the light and hope and the fun that was Isshiki, probably should've been disposed to celebrating- but no. All there  was tonight was tears, sadness, and loss.

I would like to say that people joked around and shared funny stories of Isshiki.. but no, there was none.

The memorial started with an introduction video- I missed the starting bits coz  I got there late with Toshie (who graciously accompanied me so I won't commit a faux pas). I arrived in time to see videos of Isshiki's Shinto  wedding  with Okamoto-san. A video which abruptly cut to a shot of his casket moved into the funeral parlour.

The eulogies started with one  by his Meiji University classmate,  who was sobbing while talking about their friendship.

The second  by Odakasan, who was also crying while chronicling Isshiki's intense fight the final two weeks of his life- literally, the fight of his life for his life.

The last, by Ogawasan, the usually stoic and strict "older-brother"-like figure to playful "younger-brother" Isshiki, tonight overwhelmed with tears as he spoke about his relationship with Isshiki,  their relationship with Tsubaki, and how playing as the three of them as Tsubaki is, was, the best in the end.


Then.
We took our turns to say our goodbyes.
First the family and friends in the main funeral parlour hall.
Then the fans in the second hall.
It struck me that moment as I stood there  in the hall  with these fans waiting for our turn: this was really NOT the Tsubaki event we ever wished we were invited to. We could do without this end.
We will never hear him sing, we will never see him smile, we will never hear him make all  his stupid silly Isshiki jokes again.

They played Tsubaki videos one by one as we waited our turns.
Isshikisan's heart,  his youth, his dreams, his youthful aspirations for an entire life ahead of him, his voice echoed through the halls, now he won't ever sing anymore.

He will never sing again.
We will never, ever hear him sing again.


Then.
It was  our turns and we filed  towards the main funeral hall.

We were all given flowers- mostly white or yellow daisies.
I brought my own  flower- a white Dahlia in lieu of a white chrysanthemum but which resembled Tsubaki's tsubaki logo more- and I also took a daisy (faux pas!)

And  then we stood.

Isshiki's guitars were  set up around his casket  among the altar flowers.
Seeing that really crushed  me and  brought home the moment to me.
The guitars, HIS guitars, the guitars he had loved to play- sits by his side, orphaned, alone, silent.

Okamotosan, well Isshiki  Naoko-san, and Ogawasan were standing by the right.

We stepped up to the table where we could place our flower.
For the life of me, I can't remember what picture they used  for his  altar.
But we bowed our heads and prayed.

ありがとう、一色さん、本当にありがとう。

I remember crying.

And turning to Isshiki Naoko-san and Ogawasan and bowing, like soooooo many times before after all those Tsubaki shows when they came out to greet fans but now..... now, it's just the two of them left, Tsubaki is incomplete, Tsubaki will never be complete again, Isshiki is gone,  it'll always just be only the two of  them.

I'm so sorry.


Then we left and went back to the second hall to look through old Tsubaki things they had set up for us fans.
I think they're so thoughtful. I think we fans are such bothersome things. It's just a personal and private time for them- they had just lost someone they loved and cherish and they must be feeling in the pits of sadness and loss. Yet, in all this confusion and loss, they still have to entertain the fans, the fans who albeit was a great part of his life and his work, but still... we're just merely fans,  you know? Fans and unrelated people in this very very very intensely personal time.

So I do thank the family and band, and company (there were some UKP staff setting up things definitely, like the speakers outside the hall for the final farewell bid), thank you for being thoughtful and considerate and in making space for outsiders like us fans to share in this deeply personal mourning.



And then, the time came.

The time came for the absolute, eternal, final farewell.

The casket was brought out, Isshiki Naoko-san preceeded him carrying his picture- a picture no doubt for a photoshoot that was definitely not meant for this.

I think, from now  on, always, when I listen to a Tsubaki song, it's sad but I think every time I listen to the songs, I will forever remember the image of Isshiki's casket being loaded into the hearse: that was final, the end was absolute.

Nothing is as absolute and as absolutely final as death.


A fan tried to clap but no one clapped with him.

I don't think anyone could cheer.

Because this really wasn't the end any of us wanted for Isshiki.
This really wasn't the fate and the final destiny we'd hope Isshiki would reach.
In the depths of our heart even though we knew he was so so sick, in the depths of our hearts, I think we all desperately wanted  him to keep living as much as he too fought so valiantly to live.

But in the end, the man who always sang about hope and dreams and never giving up and never giving in, lost.

And he's gone.

And he is never coming back.


He was so positive.
So hopeful.
So cheerful.
So wonderfully good.

He worked so so so so so so hard.
He fought so so so so  so so much.
He wanted to live, he wanted to sing, he wanted to perform again.
He wanted to be alive with his friends, his family, his band, his wife.
I'm sure.

It's just so unfair that life had to be taken, to be stolen from such an amazing and wonderful and positively bright man.
It's just so unfair.


I want to believe that what Isshiki Naoko-san said in her closing speech was true, "Now you get to be reunited with your family that  you longed so much to meet, and now you can finally play your beloved guitar again after such a long time".

It's so so sad.
All he wanted to do was live, play his guitar, make music, sing and be happy and alive.

Yet, at the end- he could do none of those; he couldn't even breathe.


My sadness lies not in myself.
Yes, I feel sad we won't see you live and hear you sing anymore and we won't ever get to hear your jokes again.
But beyond  that, the sadness and loss that I feel is for you. Is for you because you've been robbed, you've been cheated by life, you've been given such a terribly horribly bad deal: first losing your parents, then having your guitar taken away from you, but you still fought so hard to regain what you had lost, you kept trying to come back  to sing, you even got married and found your own family-- but fuck,  in the end, ALL OF THAT ALL OF  THAT was once again snatched away and taken from you forcefully.
It's not fair, it's absolutely not fair to you. You  had done NOTHING wrong, you hadn't hurt a soul. You asked for so little and fought so hard for all you had and yet! fucking life REFUSED to give anything  to you.
That's just so so so so so so so so incredibly unfair to you.
And that, that breaks my heart the most.

All you wanted was to be happy, to ask for so little, just life with Naokosan, with your friends, your family and to sing. That's all. That's all.

But you couldn't have any of that.
Not for long anyway.

And I feel so sad.
I feel so sad for you and everyone around you who loves you.


Rest well, Isshiki-san.
Thank you for having fought so hard.
Thank you for having lived.
Thank you for  having sung.
Thank you for being wonderful.
Thank you for being encouraging.
Thank you for your words, your songs, your smile.
Thank  you for the short time you had shared with us.
You were a blessing to us.

Rest well, Isshiki-san.
And I shall sing with you, still, always.
一人の夜もそばにいようぜ
君と僕の歌を歌う。

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive