Sunday, February 17, 2019

Arabic

So, I decided to learn Arabic again this time. To fucking forget Hoshino that’s what.

I’ve always... thought of learning Arabic, since teaching at ELS and also the whole thing with you-know-who years ago. When he introduced me to Arabic music or when the students would speak arabic, I always felt it was a cool language to learn. So I’ve always wanted to learn it.

But...... ARABIC IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD.
One can understand why this is an ancient language!

But anyway, I’ve always tried to learn it but you know pronunciation and even the characters alone are a killer, let’s not even get into grammar just yet.

Anyway, this time, I re-tired the app Tengu Lingo. It’s an app I used for Japanese actually! But I tried it again and for some reason, it was very methodical and effective!

So in two days, I was FINALLY able to remember the Arabic alphabets and it’s four forms (independent - initial - middle - final)!!


(These were super hard to remember coz they look so similar and confusing among many others that are equally confusing due to similarities)

And to practice reading and to aid in remembering the alphabets, I’m trying to read and transcribe!


(I copied the romanization off a website to practice transcribing it to Arabic. The sentence mean “are you a doctor?”- I chose it for Mohammed who helped/is helping me with this. He’s a doctor. Unfortunately, I chose the plural form of doctor “aTibba” instead of the singular “Tabiib”. Oh well........)




So anyway, my goal is to try to write the months and also days. After that, I’ll do other words.


Of course... after Japanese, I have no such hope or ambition to learn Arabic as a language. I think it’s just waaaaaaaay too difficult and complicated to learn it, grammar and pronunciation. 

But anyway, it’s fun!
It’s like a puzzle trying to transcribe the words from romanization to Arabic or to read the Arabic script.
It’s really interesting!

So, I think it was a good three days!
Considering that on Friday I was just doing this:



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive