Thursday, October 11, 2007

believe, belief

Perhaps this is an attempt to justify something that I don't need to justify...


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I know in a sense I am obsessed with Lunkhead-- but in another sense, for them, and for whenever I did like a band, it's not always without a reason.

Sure i'd love to marry Yoshitaro and wish to bear his kids but... that's just the obsessive nature talking... In my heart of hearts, it's not because how Yoshitaro looks that I am in love with Lunkhead, I love them because of their songs.


I'm sure some essense of it was lost in translation in the letter that actually reached him but This is part of the original letter in English that I sent to Yoshitaro... But I wrote this letter LOOOONG before I loved them as much.. this was the very first translation i gave to Tsuyoshi back in July 06 when i first got to know Lunkhead, and when I knew only 4 of their songs, and the feelings that I felt for them then back in July 06 are feelings that were still true (and added much more) in April 07 when i sent the letter... and still holds true right now... This is the reason why I loved Lunkhead, and why I love them still...


Hello.

I think that you are an amazing band. Your songs are awesome. I cannot really understand Japanese but your songs and the parts of the lyrics that I can understand really capture my heart.

I cannot stop listening to the songs!!! Truly addicted!! EVERYDAY!

Although I cannot understand Japanese very much (it is sad), I think that your songs are very beautiful yet sad, but always very amazing. Breathtaking.


The vocals is perfect (haha), the lyrics are phenomenally good, the guitars are amazingly beautiful, the bass is gorgeous and the drums is awesome.Every element just dances with each other to produce a wonderful masterpiece. THANK YOU FOR THE SONGS!!!!

Actually, the lyrics of 月と手のひら reminds me of an English song I love very much “Stay With Me” by the band Finch (I included a CD with the song with this letter)… But… I like月と手のひら very much because the lyrics is so beautiful. The vocals is very passionate and sad! Also, the music in that song is just absolutely beautiful. Very touching and inspiring!

木漏れ日 is also another song that I think the music is very beautiful. But the part I love the most is the first chorus “世界はどれだけの事を。。。”
I cannot understand Komorebi’s lyrics at all but I really love this part because it gives the feeling of a person growing wings to fly above in the sky, but it is not freedom that makes him take flight, it’s the feeling of wanting to fly because he is trying to escape a sadness inside him. Does that make sense??


So, even though I don't understand the lyrics much, the music and voice and atmosphere of the songs convery very meaningful feelings to me... Thank you.



This is something I wrote just last week when i was listening to Tsuki to Tenohira in the Staff Room:



Lunkhead is not the first band I've been crazily in love with, and they won't be the last... I will probably get over this and forget how it feels to feel these feelings when I listen to their songs like Tsuki to Tenohira and Komorebi...

But while it's now, I may scream and yell and proclaim my love for Yoshitaro daily like a deranged lover swooned off her feet everyday.... But that's far from the reason why I love Yoshitaro, and far from the reason why I love Lunkhead...

I like Yoshitaro like the reasons why I loved the likes of Noel Gallagher, Tim Wheeler, Nate Barcalow-- It is their brilliance, these quiet geniuses, crafting such amazing music, writing such breathtaking lines, loving to do their God-given talent with such passion and true happiness for their music, like it was a divine calling...

"It is not me who chose music, but it was music that chose me."

"Still I want to sing. Please let me sing."

This is the voice of someone who love what he does, and love with it with a passion that many of us lack for what we do... And I admire and love Yoshitaro for that.

It is reasons like these that is why I love Yoshitaro... for the music he makes, for the lyrics he writes about their dreams and how far they've come, for his genuine love and passion for what he does...

It's my flaw perhaps, that I am attracted to people who are brilliant and passionate about what they do.

Discredit him all you want for writing songs like Sakana no Uta and Semi haha, discredit him all you want to say that his song sucks, discredit him all you want if you want to argue that Lunkhead doesn't play rock songs, discredit him all you want if you say he looks like a girl, and discredit him all you want when I say "I love Yoshitaro!!!".... But you can't discredit him when you read what he wrote in Hitorigoto and Tsuki to Tenohira... That is brilliance.

I'm not saying that he's the only one, I've loved many writers in my life, but you can't deny he's not one.


So those are my reasons, sane or not, but that's why I love Lunkhead and its brainchild Yoshitaro.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive