Wednesday, June 02, 2010

神聖かまってちゃん (Sinsei Kamattechan)


A caution, this band is definitely NOT for everyone but damn! I love them!!!!!!!!!

What can I say about their style??????????? The SEX PISTOLS meets happy-keyboard punk!!!!! DISTORTED screeching vocals overlaid with catchy keyboards, punctuated with a tinge of electronic stuck together with punkish guitars and percussion. AWESOME!!!!

This band is DEFINITELY weird. The whole damn band is weird led by the weirdest of them lot, only named "no ko" (の子). Except for the drummer (YES, who is an INCREDIBLY CUTE girl), no one knows their names. However, there's a proliferation of homemade videos and documentaries of the band doing weird shit, not excluding a webcam of noko naked in a tub, sexually hugging his bandmate (YES, the incredibly cute drummer), them sitting in messy rooms, noko talking streams of endless gibberish (does he stutter?!), webcams chats from the drummer's bedroom, and all with noko screaming his head off most of the time, which really lead me to really believe that there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with that boy! lol~

Which is why, I think, their music is the way it is and needless to say, yes damn, I LOVE IT.

I guess, 神聖かまってちゃん (Sinsei Kamattechan) is DEFINITELY a very, very different, different take on the Japanese indie rock sound these days. They definitely don't play Western sounding rock music like most Japanese rock bands (Tsubaki, Art-School, Ajikan, andymori), they're also NOT at all like the usual Japanese-sound indie rock bands these days (plenty, Any, S.R.S, Love Love Love, Co.In, colors department, Prof. Moriarty & Smiley Todd, the court), nor are they like the other types of Japanese-sound rock bands (serial TV drama, butter butter, e-sound speaker, Galileo Galilei, the local art, People in the Box, Setsuna Blue Star) or the heavier Japanese rock types (lego big morl, Multi Colored Vox, syrup16g), or the Japanese post-rock types (lostage, the Novembers, the telephones), or the electronic rock types (hare-brained unity, Ogre You Asshole, Starboard, sakanakusyon) or the more Japanese indie-rock (Merenge, Sekaiichi, Otonamodo), and of course, the recent rise of Japanese indie piano-rock bands (andop, Sekai no Owari)..

I guess... the philosophy of noko and consequently the music he makes can be very, very well summarized with the words he wrote in the song ロックンロールは鳴り止まないっ (Rock and Roll sounds forever). I really, really like this song, not just because it's an amazing representation of their sounds, but also an encapsulation of their (and noko's) music philosophy.


Ima try to translate it!
 
ロックンロールは鳴り止まないっ
昨日の夜、駅前TSUTAYAさんで
僕はビートルズを借りた、セックスピストルズを借りた
「ロックンロール」というやつだ
しかし、
何がいいんだか全然分かりません

do da
turatura
oh yeah!yeah!yeah!

夕暮れ時、部活の帰り道で
またもビートルズを聞いた、セックスピストルズを聞いた
何かが以前と違うんだ
MD取っても、イヤホン取っても
なんでだ全然鳴り止まねぇっ

do da doda
tura tura
oh yeah! yeah!
yeah!

今も遠くで聞こえるあの時のあの曲がさ
遠くで近くですぐ傍で、叫んでいる
遠くで見てくれあの時の僕のまま
初めて気がついたあの時の衝撃を僕に

いつまでも、いつまでも、いつまでもくれよ

もっともっと、僕にくれよ
もっと、もっと、もっと、もっと、
くれよ!

遠くにいる君目がけて吐き出すんだ
遠くで近くですぐ傍で叫んでやる
最近の曲なんかもうクソみたいな曲だらけさ!
なんて事を君は言う、いつの時代でも

だから
僕は今すぐ、今すぐ、今すぐ叫ぶよ
君に今すぐ、今、僕のギター鳴らしてやる
君が今すぐ、今、曲の意味分からずとも
鳴らす今、鳴らす時

ロックンロールは鳴り止まないっ

Last night, at the Tsutaya store before the train station,

I am the rock and roll guy who borrowed the Beatles and the Sex Pistols.
However, the meaning of what is good, I still don't understand.


do da doda
tura tura
oh yeah! yeah!
yeah!

In the evening, on the way home from club activities,
still listened to the Beatles, listened to the Sex Pistols,
Something is different than before,
Holding my MD, Holding my earphones
Why is it that it totally goes on always. (THIS IS PROBABLY WRONG!! I don't understand the sentence!!)


do da doda
tura tura
oh yeah! yeah!
yeah!

Now the distant song of that time that can be heard
is screaming in a distance nearby by my side.

In a distance my mother of that time that can be seen,
the first time she noticed at that time, she was shocked at me (THIS IS ALSO PROBABLY WRONG!)

always, always, always, give me

more more more more more to me, give it to me.

The you at a distance, eyes are.... (I DON'T UNDERSTAND!), I vomit,
Far away and nearby and right by my side, cry

Music these days are just like shit (HELL YEAH!)
The things you say even in any period.


That is why,
right now, I scream,
To you, right now, my guitar is ringing,
Even if you don't understand the meaning of the song.
Rings now, this is the time it rings.

Rock and Roll never ends.

(Inside me, which summer... If I hear that rock and roll, I remember a little)





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive